This isn’t healthy. There’s no way around that fact. These are in fact the result of boredom gone untethered. This is what happens when a bored guy asks the question, “What would a potato chip covered in Cheetos taste like?”
The answer? Pretty tasty. I personally thought they could use a more pronounced Cheetos flavor. Two of my old coworkers disagreed with me though. They loved these so much that they kept all the chips that I delivered to the staff.
Cheetos Crusted Potato Chips
2 medium baking potatos
1 9 ounce bag of Cheetos
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Crush bag of Cheetos with rolling pin until you have as fine a dust as possible. Place in a bowl.
- Peel potato and slice medium thin (My mandolin has a one, two and three setting. Two worked best for me.)
- Cover a cookie sheet or baking pan with foil and spray lightly with vegetable spray.
- Lay potato chips on the foil.
- Spray the tops with vegetable spray and dip into the Cheeto dust. Make sure there’s enough spray on the chip to grab enough.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, and flip over. Spray the other side with vegetable spray and repeat the dipping process.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
If you want, you can also use olive or vegetable oil in place of the vegetable spray. I just wanted something that wasn’t quite as fatty and greasy. I figured eating potato chips COVERED IN CHEETOS was plenty fatty already.
You may have to keep watch on the chips as they bake. Near the end, it’s easy for thin chips to become burnt, and let me tell you, burnt Cheetos do NOT taste good. Trust me. 2 potatoes make a veritable ass load of chips, so make sure you have friends to share these with. They only keep their crispiness for a day (2 if you’re lucky).